Sunday, July 17, 2011

Mock-up: Done

At least to sleeves. I just need to throw some gathering stitches into the sleeves and press open my seams tomorrow morning, and then we might be able to go over for a fitting after our bank appointment!

My mother in law gave me a handful of alterations to take care of today, as well. Most of them should go pretty smoothly, and I should be able to hit them hard tomorrow as well. Hard to believe we leave for Michigan in about a week, though this trip should be easier than the last--each one seems to be. I've come up with a few new conveniences that should help immensely:

1. Disposable cups for Lu's snacks. I've been washing leftover baby food containers for a while, and I realize there is absolutely no reason to bring anything I'm attached to to carry Lu's tiny cheese cubes and crackers.

2. I realized this last trip, but I'll reaffirm it: snack size zippy bags. They are the size of Lu's spoons, they hold three binkies, they hold several meals' worth of oatmeal, they rock rock rock.

3. Backpack. I realized this on the last trip, too, but I'll use a nicer bag this time. It was brilliant--clothes in the back, Lu's toys in the front pocket. I was organized without strife, mostly!

4. Snacks for me. I always end up buying overpriced airport food, and on the last trip, I found myself envying Lu's snacks. This time, Mommy gets some little containers of goodies, too.

5. Complete and unerring kindness and politeness for everyone around me. It is a lesson I keep having to learn, but my life goes so much better when I err on the side of niceness.

6. Umbrella stroller. According to the Delta website, I might not even have to check it planeside. Sweet!

7. Making friends with the flight attendants Last time, one of the flight attendants had the same name as Lu and they became fast friends for the flight. Plus, she mentioned it to all the other flight attendants, so we were very popular and well taken care of.

Today's make was a crocheted hat I worked on at the in-laws while watching the soccer game, which I felt was well-played by everyone. It's the first hat in quite a while, which is why it ended up being baby-sized. It's just about done, and Lu is a little too curious to wear hats right now (she keeps pulling them off to check them out!), so it'll probably go into the baby gifts to give box. It's a nice blue/tan/white mix, so it might flatter a boy nicely...

I just finished cutting up two pounds of cheese into tiny cubes for Lu's meals, and I think I'll be spending part of tomorrow planning out additional snack options to send with her this week. I'm working in costume stock at my old job for the mornings this week, so Lu is going to what I've, in my mind, been calling "Aunt Jenny's Day Camp for Tinies." I imagine that she will learn animal handling (chasing the kitties and avoiding the basset hound), fabric selection (rummaging through the remnants box), domestic economics (going to the grocery store and smiling at the retired people), culture (BBC series of some sort), pattern alteration (ripping up an old pattern that Aunt Jenny doesn't like anyway and crinkling it for the kitten), and library sciences (pulling books and DVDs off the shelves and possibly putting them back). She's going to have a great time!

It's later then I thought it was. It's time for bed, I think. Until tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Leisl, I realize that money is always at a premium, but I too hang my laundry to save money. We recently found a tripod like laundry carousel at Ace Hardware in Vacaville for $59. It sets on my patio and can hang about 64 linear feet of clothes. Alas, since you live where you do, even later this week when it heats up over here, it will still be cooler there and will take your laundry longer to dry. I just hang it outside and if its not dry when I've decided to be done with it, I just throw the whole mess in the dryer. Yes, I'm using the dryer, but for only 20 minutes or so rather than the 3 or 4 hours I used to use it. Oh and if you need help at the shop, tell Rebecca to call me.

    ReplyDelete