Thursday, July 14, 2011

Time Flies...


When you're...doing stuff, I guess. I did not get much done today, that's for sure. I couldn't sleep in the middle of the night, so I spent an hour or so reading stuff on the internet, but it was totally quality information on budgeting and making the most of your finances (for the first half hour. The rest was looking at lolcatz. I'm not proud of this, but they were funny.). At last, I was tired and cold enough to successfully go back to sleep, and boy did I ever. I was going to get up with J to start my day, but instead, I rolled back over and would have slept for another three hours. Would have, if only J had not looked in on Lu on his way out the door and she hadn't woken. He was very apologetic, and she was very hungry. By the time we finished eating and got out the door (late), it was time for Baby Bounce at the library. We do two of them a week to get Lu socialized and to attempt to meet other parents. With J working full time for the rest of the summer, I hope I'll be getting to know some of these folks.


After that, we called a couple friends to do a drop off, and ended up at Trader Joes until they got home. I was lingering around the sample area to try out their pesto tortelloni (like you do), when I got a call from my parents. Suffice to say the news threw me for a loop, and our friends decided they needed help on cutting out a corset and finishing some other projects. Thanks for distracting me! We managed to get the corset cut out and started, and she's feeling much more confident about the whole project. We ended up hanging out into the early evening, and J wasn't home yet when we got there.


It took until 8:30 for me to get into the sewing room at all, so it's a small make today: a holder bag for my clothes pins. This one's a freebie, since the fabric is an upholstery sample I acquired from a craigslist free listing, and the wire is a hanger from the dry cleaner that I remangled. I also found the clothes pins, which were on the dryer (alas, so obvious), so the bag could hold something in the picture, too. It's one of those things that I've always taken for granted--they're so common among the people who hang dry in my life that when it came time for me to set up, I didn't know how to get one. It's definitely not something you find in thrift stores, since nobody ever gives them up until the bottoms dry rot out. I realized that I was being silly, since surely I could make one, which is most likely what most of the people I know did in the first place. I think, though, that people a couple generations ago were either much better at sculpting with wire or that kits were available. Wire hangers are hard to precisely sculpt, and I don't think I will be entering this thing in the fair as a work of domestic art anytime soon!


Tomorrow, after the interview with the unemployment office and picking up my latest hourly paycheck, I'm totally putting up the clothesline--there are no excuses left. Actually, one excuse. I just figured out that Telemundo has English subtitles on the closed captioning. I finally know what they're saying on the telenovelas! The nurse in three-inch heels just stole her exboyfriend's newborn from the nursery, so I've got to go, though I exhausted, too... Just for entertainment, here's what a load of Lu's laundry looks like on the drying rack--no wonder it took so long to dry!





No comments:

Post a Comment