Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Wonderful Day of Domesticity




Behold! The clothesline is up! I listened to my sheets whip around in the breeze all afternoon, and it was fantastic. However, it's now rather dark out there, and they're still up. I'll have to get to that after I finish this post. We set up the clothesline under the patio roof so I can use it even when it's muddy out. Plus, I won't have nearly the worries of bird poo and cat surfing I would have had otherwise.


We had one of those simple days today. We went to the library, to the bank, to the grocery store. Lu slept in the car, so she was not interested in a nap one bit when we got home, despite J's best efforts, so she "helped" do the house chores--cleaning the kitchen and folding the clean clothes. I called my father for a while whilst J set up Lu's new car seat. I bought it months and months ago when it was on an unbelievable sale (let's just say I bought Britax, a high-end brand, at low-end prices), so I was glad to finally see it set up. Lu loves it, too. As J was attempting to figure out the straps and everything, she kept trying to crawl into it. This is going to be a popular change, I think.

After dinner, I logged a bit of time on the internet to look up tips on travelling with babies and toddlers, and started to formulate my plan to get through the airport with a baby, her stroller, her car seat, and our luggage. The luggage rack that I found in the free box at a yard sale is going to come in handy, I think, once I figure out what I did with the bungee cords--garage? Somewhere in the garage? I can rule out the Christmas boxes and most of J's workshop, and I know it's not in my car, so that only leaves about a third of the garage to search. Not bad.


Originally, tonight's make was going to be solutions for the trip, but once I realized that I only needed something to secure my umbrella stroller when it's closed, I figured I should look for a little more inspiration in addition. This was especially true when I noticed that I could just tie one of the curtain tiebacks that came with my closet curtains around the stroller and it would work perfectly. For some reason, I couldn't face more fabric tonight, so I pulled out the jewelry supplies and made a few necklaces while watching Sweeney Todd. Nice and therapeutic. It was nice to finally use some of the beads and such, since most of them were left over from the jewelry making class in grad school. Plus, I found these nifty crimp beads at JoAnn about a year ago that use teeny screws to clamp down on the wire. They took a little getting used to, but I think it was worth it. I'm also applauding myself for the slightly obsessive purchase of jewelry findings a few months ago when Tuesday Morning had them, because I had a nice selection of silver, gold and copper choices. I'm thinking that I'll be looking for inspiration for more complex designs to send as gifts for Christmas this year. It was pretty close to instant gratification.



Tomorrow, I intend to finish the mockup (I just need a front! I already know what I'm going to do, but I'm just getting chickeny at the last bit. And it's a mockup!), and maybe crochet a hat, just to keep my hand in. Maybe I'll take my hooks with me to Michigan. That project travels well, and if there's one thing in the basement (there's not just one thing, I assure you), there's yarn. If I'm remembering the move correctly, there were at least two big boxes of yarn that she couldn't part with at the time and is now not-so-gently advertising to me. I wonder if grandparents have something like the nesting instinct, only in reverse. It seems like since the moment Lu was born, both sets of grandparents have been going through closets and dressers, looking for things to get rid of. To be fair, one set is moving and one set just retired, so that might be part of it, but the timing is still amusing.








I'm off to rescue my sheets!

2 comments:

  1. Call me about baby trips. V and I used to go to Texas for a month at least once a year. I've some ideas and tips for traveling.

    1. Always always always pack the absolute minimum of clothing you (and the baby) need. I found that far away family LOVE to purchase things for baby and usually have stuff you can borrow.
    2. Always pack your things inside a small suitcase that you then put in a large suitcase. I also take a large duffle bag. (I can loan you some things if you need - I just need to set aside some things for J's trip of OK)
    3. DO NOT under ANY circumstances take the big stroller. You just don't want to deal with it in the airport.
    4. DO take an umbrella stroller even if you are flying direct - you NEVER know exactly where the plane will end up landing. (The nice airlines folks will happily store it under the plane so you can use it in the airport.) (Oh and I always laugh when advised of what to do in the event of a water landing - because there is mostly desert and scrub between California and Texas - If the plane lands in water it would be a) because its raining Noah's flood again or b) we are horribly off course and I'm making the terrorist change the baby...)
    5. Pack diapers in your suitcase ('cuz I know you will) and pack 2 days worth of diapers and baby clothes and at least 1 shirt change for you in your carry-on. This way you can change shirts in case of spillage/mess just before you greet the family and they can be impressed about how fresh you look after x hours on a plane with a toddler/infant!
    6. Remember that the person dropping you off and the folks picking you up are perfectly capable of helping haul luggage to and from the car/airport - Don't think you need to carry it all yourself.
    7. For the love of any gods you worship PRE-BOARD! Airlines offer this for a reason. This also means you can maximize your carry-ons because you got there first.
    8. Choose a seat that has a row in front of it. Tuck as many of your carry-ons under the seat in front of you as you can. (You don't want to have to dig diapers out of the overhead bin mid flight)
    9. Don't stress - the baby will always sense your issues and since you are uber-polite (at least to a Californian) most folks will be happy to help you out and most mom's want to pass good Karma along.
    10. Ship anything that will take you overweight/over baggage.
    11. Remember - there are stores where you are going that sell perfectly good things. You don't have to take everything with you and your mom/sister/cousin will always have extra shampoo.

    Now that I think about it - this would be a good blog post for me! I can share my 19 years of mommy knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We actually rocked the big stroller for the last couple trips because she still fit in the baby seat that fit into the stroller. I clipped her into the stroller, threw all my bags in the basket underneath and away we went. My mother is hot and now to prepare for Lu's visit, so I'm emailing her a list of needs this week. That way, I only have to carry enough diapers, wipes, etc. for the travel days. Sweet!

    We've done the carryon only thing twice now, and I admit that I'm looking forward to getting to check bags when we fly Southwest at the end of August. Because she has her own ticket, I set us up with one backpack, a small soft cooler for snacks and drinks, the jump bag and a carryon bag or suitcase as needed. Since Mom and Dad don't mind me using the washer there, I figure I can get away with not having every outfit known to man in the bags.

    ReplyDelete